March 1, 2008

About The Meanest Mom


I am a mother of four kids who know me as "the meanest mom in the world." Most of the time, I write about my daily struggles to coexist with my offspring. On occasion, however, I branch out to other topics related to my personal life including Crohn's Disease (the sexiest autoimmune disease out there); my academic training (Ph.D. in Medieval Literature); and the amusements of Orlando, Florida where my family currently resides.

I started this blog in 2008. In the beginning, I had no aspirations of writing for an audience of more than five people or for longer than five days.

While I never in a million years envisioned myself publishing stories about me and my family (as odd as it may sound, I consider myself to be a very private person), writing has been a part of my daily life as long as I can remember.


Photos courtesy of Treasure Photography in Orlando

My oldest three kids--Camber, Kellen, and Cortlen--arrived quickly and close together.... smack in the middle of graduate school. My husband and I welcomed Camber into our home in early 2003, and her twin brothers arrived a short eight months later. Raising three kids born in the same calendar year has been at times crazy, overwhelming, and completely exhausting. However, as my husband and I have discovered along the way, it is also always entertaining.

Our youngest child--Cameron--was born in late 2008. During the second trimester of my pregnancy, I contracted Fifth Disease (Parvovirus B 19), a highly contagious viral illness that is harmless in most children and adults, but in rare cases, can be deadly for unborn fetuses. I was monitored closely throughout my pregnancy, but despite treatment, Cameron developed severe anemia and hydrops (fluid build-up). We nearly lost him, but through a series of major and minor miracles, he pulled through and is recovering.


Dress courtesy of Shabby Apple

Every mother has moments with her children that she would just as soon forget. This blog reclaims the feelings of desperation, frustration, anger, and humiliation that we experience on a daily basis. In doing so, it reminds us that what doesn't seem funny at the time, really is.

Questions? Comments? I'd love to hear from you. You can reach me at themeanestmom@gmail.com

Note: I am a firm believer that it is possible to be funny without being crude. Plus, this is a record of my children that is also FOR my children. Rest assured, you won't find any profanity or discussion of adult themes here.