February 3, 2010

The Purple Boots


The groundhog hurt my feelings this year. Six more weeks of winter! I put on my sweatpants and washed off my makeup when I heard the news.

Two nights ago, it snowed enough to justify building a snowman. Camber and Cortlen were up and out on the front lawn by 7:15am. Kellen sat under the kitchen table with his arms folded across his chest until he realized that I was not going to cave; it was oatmeal or nothing for breakfast.

At the same time that he announced that he was ready to go outside, I remembered that two weeks earlier, I had donated his snow boots to the Salvation Army. Something had taken up residence in them and whatever it was, it wasn't good.

"Here you go," I said, dropping a pair of boots at his feet. "Let me know if you need help getting them on."

My son's mouth gaped open in horror. "I'm not wearing those!" he screamed, pointing at the offensive objects.

The snow boots were purple. And happened to belong to my daughter.

"I'm super sorry," I explained, "But that's all I have right now. You can wear them or wait until Cortlen is done with his."

Instead, Kellen choose Option C, which involved throwing the purple boots into the trash and stomping up to his room in a huff.

I leaned my head out the front door. "Would someone be willing to trade boots with Kellen and wear these instead for a little while?" I asked, holding up the shoes.

Thankfully, Camber volunteered. "I will!" she replied cheerfully.

Kellen was summoned from self-exile.

"You can wear these," I said, holding up the purple boots, "Or those," I said, pointing to Camber's boots.

My gesture of kindness was not well received. Kellen threw himself off the front stoop and into a large snow-covered bush.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that his response may have had something to do with the fact that the boots that his sister was wearing were hot pink.

23 comments

Annie B Larson said...

My sister decided years ago to give my son her daughters old pink boots just to annoy my husband. Little did she know that my husband is so cheap he would rather have free pink boots then buy a pair needlessly. I now have 5 children and number four is on the pink boots. They've gone through the original little girl, my son, my daughter, wrapped up in duct tape, my son, and now my daughter. Snow boots don't wear out very quickly so I'm sure they still have many more years on them.

Jennifer said...

Or he could split the difference and wear one pink & one purple -- very stylish.

I am will be joining the masses tomorrow morning and running around NE Philly trying to obtain eggs, bread & milk. good times. I bet we get nothing ;-)

Blythe said...

What a difficult position to be in-- boots you can't abide, or missing out on the snow.

I do not envy him.

Jennifer said...

hilarious. And don't go to the grocery store... you would think the world was ending! I went this morning at 10:30 for diapers and the line was insane!

Crystal said...

Hey, he has it good. We couldn't find boots in my size one year and I had to wear plastic bags over my shoes if I wanted to go out LOL

Jesus Chick said...

On with the sweatpants and off with the makeup...I'm with ya, girl!

Too. Funny.

Unknown said...

His choice of purple or hot pink was better than nothing! Love it..........

Mothership said...

You confessed that something was badly wrong with his boots, but you gave them to charity anyway! So generous of you! (;

Pam said...

It doesn't snow a lot here in Seattle, so when it does we make do with the snow clothes we have. My 12 year old son wears my women's white snow pants that are so very chic. He doesn't complain much since it's better than wet, cold jeans.

Donna said...

I think my little brothers could sympathize with your poor son. They had a lot of sisters.

Emmy said...

Lol! Poor kid :) What is a boy to do.

Kay said...

For some reason, boys are okay with the color purple if it's matched with neon green. Think Buzz Lightyear or Ghostbusters. Save yourself some cash and go get some green duct tape. Your son can even help design them.

Margaret said...

Lol Oh well it was his choice lol

Stephanie said...

Winter is just hard. (in my sweatpants and make-up free face)

adhocmom said...

Snow headed our way and I'm super excited. But a snow storm in NYC means like, 1.5 inches. Seriously? I'm hoping for enough to at least show June what a snowball is.
x,
P
www.adhocmom.com

Heather said...

We have a saying in my house... "you get what you get, and you don't throw a fit."

The Four Week Vegan said...

Hehehe. It's tough to be manly in purple or hot pink.

Working Mommy said...

You should have told him that real men wear pink ;)

~WM

Another mean Mom said...

That is awesome!! I am hysterical. Mean Moms rule!

Anonymous said...

I think my child is color blind when it comes to getting to go outside (in any weather) he would wear anything that got him outdoors!
love your blog by the way. I keep telling people about it.

Anonymous said...

Longines timepieces are particularly geared towards aviators and Longines Watches enthusiasts interested in having a timepiece with a lot of potential gadgets. Replica Longines are great for everyday use and everyday wear. Replica Longines Watches are quality timepieces and attractive.

Unknown said...

http://www.flixya.com/user/onlytoywatch
http://onlytoywatch.blog.friendster.com/
http://glowindia.com/onlytoywatch
http://onlytoywatch.insanejournal.com/
http://onlytoywatch.interneteclub.com/
http://blog.studyquest.net/user/login?destination=user%2Flogin
http://www.terribleblogs.com/wp-login.php
http://theinformer.in/wp-login.php?redirect_to=%2Factivate%3Fkey%3D20af45f18e9d528f
http://www.zimbio.com/
http://snipsly.com/wp-admin/profile.php

&_&

maher said...

chanel replica watches is becoming more and more important in one's daily decoration or outfit. However, it should be properly worn according to the occasion. For instance, a set of pearl jewelry is suitable to be worn in a formal occasion and the fashionable accessories in striking color are wonderful for going out with friends. Though fashion replica watches swiss is not as luxurious as the fine jewelry, it does not mean that it can just go with anything. If you want to make every piece of your jewelry perfectly match you, you should basically understand the rules of fashion.