August 6, 2010
Vacation Bible School Catastrophe
This week, my boys attended Vacation Bible School at a local church. Another church located directly across the street from the VBS church ran a medieval-themed dance camp for girls at the same time.
"Nooooo!" my children cried in unison.
"I've already paid," I told them matter-of-factly. "You're going."
Despite everyone's initial reluctance to expand their spiritual horizons, both camps were run exceptionally well and turned out to be lots of fun.
This afternoon was Camber's dance recital. During the only 30 minute period of the week when my cell phone ringer was turned off, Cortlen got stung by a bee at Bible school.
When I turned on my phone at the end of the recital, there were 7 missed calls and 4 new messages, all from the same number. The woman who left the messages had Cortlen's health form in front of her which indicated that he wasn't allergic to bee stings, but she was still hysterical. And very upset that I wasn't picking up my phone.
All of this was totally understandable, and I felt appropriately awful. I dragged Camber off stage and ran across the street, preparing for the worst. I expected to find my son laid out on a stretcher, but instead found him swinging from the monkey bars on the playground. I apologized profusely to a group of women with clipboards in their hands and explained the situation, pointing to my daughter (who was wearing a cardboard breastplate and carrying a sword covered with aluminum foil) as evidence.
In the end, the women were very nice about the whole thing, but that didn't stop me from slinking back to my car with my tail between my legs. I felt like the most neglectful parent in the universe.
Once we got home, Kellen announced that he had left a whole change of clothes at Bible school. Cortlen then remembered that he had forgotten his sunscreen and towel.
"When are we going back to Bible school to pick up our stuff?" my boys wanted to know.
I have been deliberately putting off answering their question.